Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Emily Richards Introduction to Becoming an Effective Instructional Designer Dr. Artino EDUC-6115-5 October 26, 2013 As an adult learner I have surprisingly found this course to be far more insightful and informative than I initially imagined. I was familiar with learning theories, styles and intelligences before enrolling in this course, but I never took an in depth look at the differences and connections between the three. Now after careful review and superior resources for support I have a more informed and thorough understanding of learning and the many factors connected to the actual act of learning. As Ertmer & Newby (1993) stated, "learning is a complex process that has generated numerous interpretations and theories of how it is effectively accomplished". That statement is so true and relates directly to the many articles, videos, blogs, etc. and their various interpretative opinions that I have reviewed this term. Ormrod, Schunk & Gredler (2009) gave a brief definition of learning by stating that it is an internal process that occurs in the mind of the individual learner as they pursue goals. At the beginning of the course I was completely convinced that I was strictly a Cognitive Learner and I was prepared to defend that logic tooth and nail with very little background knowledge for support. After much dialogue with classmates and a vast variety of great resources readily available I quickly began to change my mind. I no longer believe that I am utilizing one specific learning theory solely and dependently for learning. Based off responses from classmates I have also begun to believe this is the case for most, if not all learners. Constructivism and Behaviorism have proven to be just as relatable and useful as Cognitivism for my preferred learning theories. Now that I have been an adult learner for a few months and started to familiarize myself with a non- traditional learning environment I strongly believe that motivation is the strongest and most important internal and external factor for any eLearner. I do believe that learning theories and styles are definitely connected and important for learners since they serve a purpose for all individuals involved to connect and have a successful learning environment. Furthermore, I believe educational technology is an imperative tool for any individual seeking further education and professional growth and development. All that being said I feel that intrinsic and extrinsic factors develop motivation and confidence for learners that directly connect the learners' acts and process of learning. The ability to effectively utilize educational technology and continue embracing new ideas and tools presented is also directly connected to self- motivation for learners. As an instructional designer I believe this course will help me be more sensitive to my learners and the strategies used to effectively instruct them. The ARCS Motivational Process (Keller, 1999), has served as a great tool for future instruction related to distance education and technology. It stressed attention, relevance, confidence, and satisfaction as successful motivational factors. These four factors were broken down to illustrate their importance and how they impact the larger picture in the most amazing way. Once one thinks about it feedback and relationships between instructors and learners can help or hurt the learning process, but if they are implemented and handled well they should be much more helpful than harmful. References Etmer, P.A. & Newby, T.J. (1993). Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism: Comparing Critical Features from an Instructional Design Perspective: Performance Improvement Quarterly 6(4), pp. 50-71. John Wiley and Sons. Ormrod,J., Schunk, D., & Gredler, M. (2009). Learning theories and instruction. (Laureate Custom Edition). New York: Pearson. Keller, J. M. (1999). Using the ARCS motivational process in computer - cased instruction and distance education. New Direction for Technology and Learning (78).

No comments:

Post a Comment